Monday, January 30, 2012

Washing Feet

In Cambodia, there is a custom during a wedding ceremony where the bride is supposed to wash the husband's feet and then the couple is supposed to wash the parents feet.  It symbolizes that the bride is to serve the groom and that the couple is to serve their families.  The Church in Cambodia, has expanded this ceremony to include the groom washing the bride's feet as well.  It represents that he will be serving his bride and loving her in the same manner that Christ loves him.  I love these customs.

Recently, Coy, one of the young men who used to live at Heritage House, was married.  He asked Kristen and I to be his parents during the ceremony.  Many times during the day I was reminded of Christ's love for His bride.  The imagery was there throughout the ceremony of how much Jesus loves His Church and how He longs to express His love to us.  This was nowhere more apparent than during the foot washing time of the ceremony.

During this part of the ceremony, I was reminded of when Jesus washed the disciples feet (John 13:3-5).  I know that there is much symbolism to this story, but on the most basic level, it shows how the God-man, Jesus Christ, would do something that was desperately needed.  Living in a part of the world where my feet are constantly dirty, I understand how important it is to wash my feet.  When I read this story, I am overwhelmed by how Jesus served in a way that was practical.  He made Himself uncomfortable so that the disciples could be taken care of.  Then, after setting the example, He tells me to do the same for my wife.  To love, cherish, and take care of  her the same way that He does these things for me (Eph.5:25).  That means, many times, to make myself uncomfortable so that she can be taken care of.  

I am glad that the Church in Cambodia is setting the standard for men loving and serving their wives.  I pray that Coy will be a great husband and follow the example set by Jesus.  I pray that for myself as well.

1 comment:

Fred Alton said...

What a fantastic custom! It lends relevance and meaning to the story in John 13 of Jesus washing his disciples feet - then commanding them to "wash one another's feet." Great post Lewie!